UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The Saginaw Valley State University women's soccer team defeated Parkside, 2-1, in the opening match of the GLIAC Tournament. With the win the Cardinals advance to the semifinals hosted by Grand Valley State with game play against Ashland.
The first half of play remained scoreless as a defensive battle between the Cardinals and Rangers ensued.
The Cardinals outshot the Rangers, 12-3, in the first half of play. SVSU added five corner kick opportunities and held Parkside to zero.
Saginaw Valley was first on the scoreboard as Jennifer Muana split the Rangers defense and found the back of the net at the 55' mark to give the Cardinals a, 1-0, advantage.
The Rangers responded with a goal of their own coming at the 81' mark to bring Parkside within one of the Cardinals.
Saginaw Valley held strong defensively and kept Parkside off the scoreboard in the remaining nine minutes of play and would close the match with a, 2-1, victory. With the win the Cardinals advance to semifinal game play of the GLIAC Tournament.
Inside the Boxscore
- SVSU out-shot Parkside by a 26-9 count, putting 12 shots on goal compared to three for the visitors.
- The Cards had nine corner kicks and only allowed the Rangers one corner kick opportunity.
- Muana's goal was her fourth of the season, as she had seven shots in the match with four on net.
- Whitney Fleming added her third goal of the season and had two shots, both on goal.
- Sarah Fredrick added three shots with one on goal and had an assist, her first of the season.
- Alyssa Watts (9-3-0) worked the entire 90 minutes in goal, allowing one score and making two saves.
From Head Coach Michael O'Neill...
"It's not about how you get over the line it's about getting over the line! we weren't at our best today but we did enought to get ourselves into the semifinals! Two great finishes by Jenn and Whit were enough. Now we must rest, recover, and prepare for a tough AU team on Friday evening."
Saginaw Valley returns to the field on Friday (Nov. 15), as they compete in a Semifinal match, hosted by Grand Valley State, against Ashland with game time TBD. Follow the action live at svsucardinals.com.