UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The Cardinal Men's Basketball team hosted the University of Wisconsin-Stout on Sunday (Dec. 1) afternoon in a non-conference tilt at O'Neill Arena. SVSU was strong throughout in the contest, hitting the century mark in posting a 101-78 victory over the Blue Devils.
The Cardinals built a lead early and never looked back, holding a 57-33 edge at the halftime break after connecting on 18-of-37 shots from the field for a 48.6%. Four SV players had double-digit scoring figures in the opening 20 minutes of action, with Malik Ellison and James Toohey leading the way with 14 points. Myles Belyeu added 13 points and nine first half rebounds while Darnell Hoskins Jr. had 11 points.
The second half saw Saginaw Valley remain steady and shoot even better, registering a 60.0% mark from the floor with 18-of-30 shots falling through the net. Belyeu added 14 points in the second half as well to lead the way offensively. The Cards had as big of a lead as 34 points, which came at the 14:11 point of the second half on a Lachlan Anthony layup.
Despite the Blue Devils outscoring SVSU narrowly 45-44 in the second half, the Cardinals were able to seal the 101-78 win.
Inside the Boxscore
- Belyeu was named the Meijer "Player of the Game" after posting his third double-double of the season, racking-up a season-best 27 points with 10 rebounds. He added three assists and two steals as well.
- Toohey hit on 8-of-10 shots and 6-of-8 from beyond the arc, scoring a season-best 22 points.
- Ellison added 19 points with a team-high five helpers and three steals.
- Hoskins finished with 15 points off the bench with seven steals, three boards and two assists. The seven steals is a new-career high for him.
- Innocent Nwoko grabbed a career-high nine boards and added five points for the Cards.
Postgame Interview - Tommy Twardecki
Saginaw Valley opens GLIAC play on Thursday (Dec. 5) night, traveling to play at Michigan Tech in a 7:30 p.m. matchup. You can follow the action live at svsucardinals.com.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---