UNVERSITY CENTER — The Cardinal men's basketball team hosted the No. 24 team in the country in Lake Superior State University on Thursday (Dec. 7) night in the team's GLIAC home opener. The Lakers opened the game with the lead and led throughout the contest, claiming an 89-60 victory at SVSU's James E. O'Neill Jr. Arena.
The Lakers grabbed a quick lead and would build it to double-digits at the 12:37 marker with the score 19-8. The visitors led by as many as 17 (36-19) with 4:50 to play in the first half and would carry a 41-27 lead into the half.
The Cardinals would not get within 12 points for the entire second half and LSSU continued to build on its lead, being up by as many as 29 points with the final score at 89-60.
Inside the Box Score
- Malik Garner was named the Meijer "Player of the Game for the Cards, posting a team-high 17 points and career-best six rebounds. He played in a game-high 37 minutes.
- DJ Hoskins was the only other cardinal to reach double figures in scoring. He had 11 points with three assists, a rebound and steal.
- James Toohey added eight points with a career-high five boards and two assists for SV.
- Sebastiano Lamonato had a team-high six rebounds and six points.
- LSSU posted a 34-25 edge in rebounding and had 22 points off 22 SVSU turnovers.
- The Lakers held a 44-36 advantage in points in the paint and had a 45-22 edge in bench points.
The Cardinals will round-out weekend play on Saturday (Dec. 9) night when they host No. 5 Ferris State University. The Bulldogs are coming off a 76-65 victory at Northwood University on Thursday night.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---